Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Moist Mango Nut Bread

Why does Mango come in this season? We are all Mango maniacs in our home! When we find yellow Mango in the shop, we get them! These mangoes are from Ecuador, and they are lovely to make desserts or any other baking. They are not juicy but sweet and tender to bake.
They are quite similar to Alphonso mangoes. Quite lot of fibers and when they are naturally sweet we do not require much sugar for baking.

I prepared a small loaf of the bread and it hardly lasted for 2 days. I always like to share (testing samples, may be!) my new creations with my neighbours. But this time, I hardly had a very small piece to give. So I prepared some more for today, I think by the time Sundar is home they will be distributed :)


The bits of mangoes dotting the bread and the slight crunch of nuts makes this one of my favorite breads. This recipe was passed on to me by my aunt from some TV show. When I baked for the first time, I used eggs and today I ran out of eggs. So added Mango puree instead or by increasing the oil. Just blend few pieces of the yellow goodness and blend it and replace for the egg whites.

Always it is, we can modify the recipe to suit our needs and pantry needs. I always use olive oil, no matter what the recipe calls for. And mostly avoid using eggs, although I try the recipe once with eggs too.

Moist Mango Nut Bread

You need

1 cup all-purpose flour(maida)
3/4 cups sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
2 egg whites, slightly beaten (or use 1/4 cup of vegetable oil instead 0r 1/4 cup mango puree)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 generous cup of chopped mangoes
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
 


In a mixing bowl, add the eggs whites or the mango puree, oil, and vanilla.




Next, add the first five ingredients in another large bowl. Then add the wet ingredients into dry, just until moistened.


Fold in the mangoes and nuts.


Grease the loaf pan and pat with little flour until just coated. Mix it all together and transfer to the loaf pan.

Bake @ 350F for 50 - 60 mins or until skewers inserted at the center comes out clean.
Cool for 10 mins and then turn onto wire rack.

 

Let it cool down completely before cutting them into slices. The pieces of mangoes with every bite makes it not only moist but also makes it enriched with mango flavor. Delicious, moist bread is also a great start to a day!

We enjoyed it not only during tea but also for breakfast the next day. And Hasini had them for her snacks to school.

Serve with fresh cut mangoes or some whipped mango cream.

4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...