Sunday, January 8, 2012

Capsicum fritter (bajji)

I was chatting with my friend yesterday and she asked some tips on making bajji or pakoda. She is totally new to cooking. She felt home sick and she wanted to have some home made snacks or some fritters. I was in her place couple of years back. I used to call for all tips and basic recipes to my mom or aunt or my granny. I wonder that I don't have one single post of bajji or pakoda! But why? I make them once in 2 weeks and apart to that on-demand to Sundar's request.

I always like to try variations in my own recipes and also the traditional recipes. And this is one of the kind of recipes. My pati always wants to try all kind of bajjis for various vegetables. When I keep myself to her, I make only couple of vegetables. I still don't see half of her enthusiasm in me in most of the things. People of our earlier generation are too enthusiastic and work like a flicker. I try hard to be like her one day and get too exhausted the next day.

This is something great for a rainy day, and a tangy snack once he comes from office. Sundar, sometimes calls on his way back home and ask me to prepare some.



You need:

2 Capsicum
2 cups oil for deep frying

For the bajji batter,
1 cup Gram flour
2 Tbsp rice flour
2 to 4 tsp chilli powder
Salt to taste
a pinch, yellow bajji color (I generally do not use)

For garnishing on top
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
2 tsp chunky chaat masala
1 tsp chilli powder
salt to taste
Coriander leaves, finely chipped

Wash and cut the capsicum into half. Cut along the folds in the capsicum. Prepare the batter by mixing the flours and spices under bajji batter. Add water and mix to get a thick batter. Keep it aside.
Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Once smoky, keep the flame in low, dip the capsicum in the bajji batter. Take care bajji batter covers the entire capsicum. Fry them in oil. Once done, pat them in a paper towel. Do this for all capsicum.

Once done, arrange in a platter, top with some chopped onions, coriander leaves and sprinkle the spices.
Great to go with a hot cup of tea.

2 comments:

  1. Bhajji with a cup of Tea in hand when it is cold outside is heaven :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...