1 onion (small)
3 pods garlic
1/2 inch ginger
3-6 green chillies (6 for hot)
1" pc cinnamon stick
1/2 cup green beans ( french cut)
1/2 cup carrot ( french cut)
1/2 cup peas (optional)
1/4 cup cauliflower (small florets)
1 potato ( french cut)
4-5 tspn Ghee (or oil)
salt to taste
a pinch turmeric powder
1/2 tspn chilli powder
2 tspn lime juice
water to cook
10 small pieces of rusk
(if they are big, cut into small pieces)
1. Wash and soak Basmathi rice for 15 mins. keep aside.
2. Cut beans and Carrots on an angle to make small French cut style veggies.
3. Heat oil/ghee in a pan. Add Cardamom, Cloves and Cinnamon. Fry for a minute till fragrant.
4. Now add the Green chillies and thinly sliced onions. Fry till onions are soft and become translucent.Then add chopped ginger and garlic.
5. Finally, add the tomatoes and fry till tomato is fully cooked.
6. Now grind the ingredients in the pan.
7. Add the chopped veggies and the grinded paste to the rice, and add to the electric cooker. Add salt and lime juice and mix well.
8. Not turn on the cooker, and once done let it cool for sometime, then mix it well.
9. On a small skillet, add little butter and take small pieces of rusk (i used tea rusk). Fry mildly, one by one. Now do this for all the 10 pieces of rusk. Add this to the cooked rice. (The rusk gives a little sweet taste, you can avoid it if you like to have real HOT)
10. Serve briyani hot with the body cooling salad.
Body cooling salad with curd:
2 tomatoes chopped
½ cucumber chopped
1 onion chopped
2-3 green chillies chopped
Salt to taste
Mix all the above in a bowl. Cover and set in the refrigerator for an hour. The salt helps bring out all the flavors. Serve with Vegetable Biryani.