Kaju Katli is is an attractive dessert of Indian Origin. No one will hesitate to taste a piece of Kaju.
And this is a very easy recipe and you’ll never have to run to the sweet shop again !
Prep time: 15 min.
Cook time: 75 min. (including 60 mins for setting)
Powdered Cashews – 1.5 cups (150gms)
Powdered Sugar – 1 cup (110gms)
Instant Non-Fat Dry Milk (Milk Powder) – 1/2 cup (60gms)
Cardamom Powder – 1/8 tsp
Water – 2 tbsp
Rose Essence – 2 drops (optional)
1. Take a double-boiler (see below) and bring the water to boil.
2. Once hot, add in the Powdered Sugar and Milk Powder in the top pan.
3. Stir continously for 2-3 minutes till the Sugar and Milk Powder are warm all the way through.
4. Pour the Cashew Powder in a mixing bowl.
5. Once the Sugar and Milk Powder are done, add them to the Cashew Powder in the mixing bowl.
6. Add the Cardamom Powder and mix them all well.
7. If you are using the Rose Essence, add the 2 drops to the 2 tbsp of warm Water.
8. Start kneading by adding a little water at a time.
9. Knead till it forms a dough and the cashew starts letting oil go.
10. Grease hands and rolling pin for easier rolling.
11. Roll out the dough to the desired thickness on to a wax paper to avoid sticking.
12. Cut the rolled-out dough into desired shapes (traditionally cut into diamond shapes).
13. Allow to set at room temperature for 1-2 hours or in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
14. Store in the refrigerator and serve at room temperature for great taste.
I noticed that powdering the cashew is best done in a coffee grinder or an appliance meant for dry-grinding. While you grind in blender/mixie, it tends to get very oily very fast.