Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Kara Kuzhambu

For chennai people, vatha kuzhambu and kara kuzhambu means almost same. We do not differentiate it much. But it is only now I have learnt the difference. I made this kara kuzhambu and I was about to post it under Vatha Kuzhambu. I always try to look some recipes and try to better up my recipe if required. It was only then I realized this should be Kara Kuzhambu.
I am never able to take best of my pictures for this. Everytime I prepare, it goes away so soon.
There are recipes which calls for us to add masala and garlic. And the typical ones prepared in our homes, just requires sambar powder and the vegetable to add to it.
I'm preparing with the recipe which is amidst the both. I learnt this from someone who cook for marriages. I tried to manage to that taste. It is only then I learnt that I can use lima beans or any similar kind for vegetable in this (anything other the sweet taste).


You need:
roughly chopped Onion - 1/2 cup
roughly chopped tomatoes - 1/2 cup
Drumstick or any other veg - 1 cup or about 10 -15 pieces
Fenugreek Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
lemon size tamarind - 1 (take the essence of tamarind)
Sambar powder - 2 big tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Water to cook
Salt to taste
Enormous amount of oil to cook


For Tampering
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dhal - 1 tsp
oil for tampering

Method:
Heat oil in a skillet. Add the fenugreek seeds and once it splutters, add the roughly chopped onions. Once the onion turns to golden brown, add the chopped tomatoes. If you want to use garlic, add minced garlic before the tomatoes and saute until the rawness of the garlic goes away. Saute for a while, and add the drumstick, asafoetida, and curry leaves. Saute for a while. Now add the tamarind water, turmeric, sambar powder, salt and cook until the raw taste of the sambar powder goes off. Keep adding oil once in a while cooking.
Now Tamper the mustard seeds and urad dhal and add to the Kara kuzhambu.
Kara Kuzhambu is the favorite in our home all the time. And when I say the name, my mouth waters immediately.
To mention, we can prepare without any veggies also. I used to love my grandmas, kara kuzhambu made from urad appalam. They just taste awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...