Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Sambar Powder

Ever since my marriage till now, I have the readily prepared sambar powder sent by my aunt from India. So handy it is, and so tasty sambar comes out as result. My aunt (Mother's sister) is such a great cook. She prepares most of the podis for me. When it comes to sambar powder and idli chilli powder, she makes loads and loads that I stock it for more than a year. Well, the idli powder comes for couple of months. But with her recipe, it comes out great for me too.

You need:

Dry red chillies -  1 Lb
Coriander seeds - 2 lbs
Turmeric - 200 gm (I used the whole turmeric, varali manjal in tamil)
Black pepper - 100 gm
Toor dhal - 400 gm
Channa dhal - 25 gm
Cumin seeds - 25 gm
Methi seeds - 10 gm

Mix everything and dry grind everything to a fine powder. This needs to be done in a dry grinder. Cool the powder by placing it on a paper for sometime. Then store in a container for months.
Prepare yummy sambar or even rasam. I sometimes use this powder for simply making potato fry, okra fry or tindora fry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...