Friday, November 11, 2011

Vegetable Pulao

Thank God its friday! Soon will be the weekend, which means relaxed cooking, and everything will go @ a slower place.
I just wonder how kids get to know so many things these days! My daughter is just 4 years, and resists taking the regular sambar or other south Indian food for her lunch. Yesterday, she informed me that she needs either a paneer pulao or a veg pulao for her lunch. She came to me and she says, "mommy, just give me only roti. I don't want pappu sadham (rice)". I thought, its time to change our cooking to what she likes, provided something healthy has to be packed.
I prepared veg. pulao for the two busy bees in our home. And the recipes goes here,



You need:
Basmati rice - 1 cup, (soaked for about 20 - 30 mins)
Mixed vegetables - 1 cup (I used beans, carrot and peas. You can include paneer also. But no potatoes.)
Onion - 1 medium ( shredded)
Ginger garlic paste - 1tsp
Green chillies - 2 to 5 (change to your taste)
Bay leaves - 3

Aniseed - 2
Fennel seeds powdered - 1 tsp
cardomom -4
cloves - 4
butter to saute
Coriander and mint leaves to garnish

Soak the Basmati rice for about 30 mins. In a skillet, add butter and slightly toast the basmati rice. Close lid and cook in 1 1/4 cups of water.
In a pan, add butter and saute the onions and green chillies. Then add the ginger garlic paste. Saute until the blank taste of garlic goes off. Then to this add the above mentioned masalas. Saute till you get the nice aroma of the spices. Do not burn them. Once they are done well, immediately add the vegetables. Add required amount of salt. Bring the flame to medium low. Now, saute until the vegetable gets almost cooked.

To this cooked vegetables, add the cooked basmati rice. Bring the flame to low, and let it get cooked for about 5 to 10 mins.

Garnish with finely chopped coriander and mint leaves. Also add 1/2 tsp of butter before serving.
Serve hot with raita of your choice. I prepare mint raita for the veg pulao.
This was almost like a ready to eat pulao. As no grinding and not much to chop. So, you can try them when you have little time to prepare.
This pulao goes to lunch to Smitha's Healthy Cooking Challenge guest hosted by RK of edibleEntertainment. 

6 comments:

  1. Machi, me had same plans for lunch today, being Srini's bday. But lemme ask u one thing, why no potatoes? I have been putting it usually. Since i read ur post yday, today I did not put potatoes.

    Also, how long shud we keep the spices bay leaf, cinnamon etc? what is the shelf life of those spices? I have kept in freezer, but its not quite fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potatoes make them taste like biriyani. And never keep the spices in freezer, rather they stay with great aroma in air tight container for about 1 yr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh ok ok. Will transfer to air tight container from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so delicious!!& great to know the tip about adding potato coz even I have seen pulao recipes most of the times with potato....
    want to try & thanks for sending to my monthly event....
    your blog has so many tasty recipes,following you & will visit again...
    Midweek Fiesta @every Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for linking it to my event! I don't know if I've told you before, but I simply love your blog design & photographs! :) This is lives up to the standard!
    -
    Kavi | Edible Entertainment
    Ongoing event: Healthy Lunch Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude.. I am not much into reading, but somehow I got to read lots of articles on your blog. Its amazing how interesting it is for me to visit you very often. -food exporters

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...