Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Rich Creamy Paneer Peshawari

I wanted to try something different out of paneer instead of usual of chili paneer, or paneer butter masala. And I met one my old neighbors who is a north Indian who wanted me to try out her recipe - paneer Peshawari.
This can be had with either chapathi, roti or jeera rice or ghee Irice. But I always have with roti, as it gets quite heavy.

I should tell you this incident about roti. Everytime I write in my blog about roti, I remember myself making roti the first time. I made it for my parents in law and sundar, when I was in b'lore. My mil asked me to add salt to chapati dough. But I insisted to prepare without salt (thinking salt should not be added). Then I added water and made the dough, felt sticky and added some flour, then it got dry added some water, again felt sticky added more flour.
Now, enough I said to myself and prepared the chapathi. When I served it on the plates, I could see some nice papads. And they never made any complaint about eating the chapathi-papads. But, it surprises me today when I make such soft rotis which soft for the next day also!

1 cup Paneer cubed
1 Onion finely chopped;
1 Onion thinly sliced (french cut)
1 1/2 Tomatoes finely chopped;
1 1/2 Tomatoes thinly sliced (french cut)
2 Bell peppers – green, red, yellow thinly sliced
1 tsp Cumin seeds
½ tbsp Cumin powder
½ tbsp Corriander powder
1 tsp Garam Masala powder
¼ tsp Turmeric powder
2 tsps Ginger Garlic paste
1 tsp Kasthuri Methi leaves
3 tbsps Oil
2 tbsps Butter
½ cup Fresh cream
3 tbsp Cashewnut paste
Salt to taste
1/2 to 1 cup of Water
 

Soak the cashew nuts in warm water for about half an hour. Grind to a fine paste and keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds and when it begins to splutter add the finely chopped onions. Fry till onions are soft and light brown. Add the chopped tomatoes, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala and turmeric powder. Mix well and saute well until oil floats on top. This takes approx. 10 mins. The longer you fry the better the taste. This mixture should almost get mashed together (do not grind)
Now add the sliced onions, tomatoes and bell peppers. Add enough water and cook on medium. Let the veggies cook and come to a boil.
Stir in the paneer cubes, cashew paste, cream and the kasthuri methi. Add salt to taste. Serve hot with chapathi or roti.

Some facts about paneer
Paneer is a highprotein food generally substituted for meat in Indian and Mughlai and Arab recipes.
1. Paneer is a good source of calcium, which in later years helps prevent osteoporosis. Cheese provides 25% of the calcium in the food supply.
2. Paneer in moderation, is associated with lower
body weight as well as reduced risk of developing insulin resistance syndrome. 
3. Paneer is a good source of protein and it reduces cancer risk.
4. According to Ayurveda Paneer is health food and it can prevent stomach disorders
5. It is supposed to help in lower, back and joint pain.Reduces risks of Heart attack.
6. Paneer has a higher quality of protein as compared to soya. If one is worried about calories, it would be a better idea to make Paneer from skimmed milk to reduce the calorie content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...