Thursday, June 24, 2010

Chocolate cake - - - pleasure to every one

These days, I am very fond of cooking and esp., baking is more fun! I am just a starter, and feel there are plenty more things to learn everyday. I seem to be getting involved more day by day! It was 4 months since I tried my first sponge cake. And then this year I want to celebrate with my own cakes. And now it is my birthday, I love chocolate flavors. Who dont like it? I made this chocolate cake, and it turned out extremly well!
I had couple of my friends for a lunch at my home with their kid. And to my surprise the kids were licking every bit of cake served to them.

Chocolate Cake
 


You will need:

1 stick Butter, plus for greasing the pans
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup good cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s unsweetened)
1 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
The above is for 1 cake (thin) for 9" pans.
To make 2 thin 9" cakes, you should take double the ingredients. I made 2 thin 9" cakes.
Chocolate frosting (recipe follows)
Preheat oven to 300F. Prepare the baking pans. For this cake you will need two 9-inch round baking pans. This step is very important for easy removal of the baked cakes. There are always chances of cake sticking to the pan are more if pans are not prepared well. Grease the insides of the pan evenly with butter.  Sprinkle each of the pans with 1 tbsp of all-purpose flour. Tap pans gently to ensure the flour spreads and covers the pan. Remove the excess flour. Set pans aside till ready to use.

Separate the white from the yolks. Beat each separately adding pineapple extract and little sugar at a time. The whites should form stiff peaks and the yolks should be pale and thick. Fold the beaten yolks into whites. Sift flour and baking powder thrice and fold into the egg mixture. Beat the butter nicely then add to the misture.
FOLD: Means to slowly turn dry ingredients into the wet in a circular inward to outward motion. Do not beat or mix vigorously. The main purpose of folding is to allow more air into the mixture and to avoid flattening the frothy eggs.

Pour mixture into prepared pans. Bake for 15-20 minutes till cake is done and springs back on touch or a cake tester (or toothpick) comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cake.
Let cool in pan for 10 minutes and then invert cakes onto cooling rack. Let cool completely before frosting.
chocolate cake is very rich and strong tasting I wanted to make a light frosting that tasted chocolatey  but not too sweet. (There will sweet in the frosting too, as we will be using cream)
Chocolate frosting
1 1/2 cup Heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup Confectioner’s sugar
4-5 tbsp Cocoa powder


Sift the sugar and cocoa separately and keep aside. Pre-chill the bowl and the beaters before whipping the cream. Whip cream on low speed for 3-4 minutes only till its thick. Do NOT over beat, it turns to butter…you don’t want that! While whipping the cream halfway add the sugar and cocoa powder slowly. The final result should be a smooth spreadable mixture. It should not be in a liquid state. Taste frosting for sweetness and add more Sugar if required. For a darker richer colour, use more cocoa powder.
Place 1 layer, flat side up, on a flat plate or cake pedestal. With a knife or offset spatula, spread the top with frosting. Place the second layer on top, rounded side up, and spread the frosting evenly on the top and sides of the cake.
In a microwave safe bowl place the chocolate chips and heat on HIGH for 25-30 seconds. Stir once halfway and keep a close watch because it doesn’t take long to melt. Let cool a little and then fold in the cream and water and stir to make a thin sauce. Add more water if required.
I wanted to try piping happy birthday on the cake. Although it wasnt too professional, it came out well.

Chocolate Sauce
3 tbsp Semi Sweet chocolate chips
1 tbsp Whipping cream
1 tbsp Water

In a microwave safe bowl place the chocolate chips and heat on HIGH for 25-30 seconds. Stir once halfway and keep a close watch because it doesn’t take long to melt. Let cool a little and then fold in the cream and water and stir to make a thin sauce. Add more water if required.

It is wonderfull to share the happiness that we have got. And this moment of happiness on my birthday is something special.
Those candles were selected by my daughter, and as a gift to me on my birthday. Of course without the candles, the birthday cake is not complete, isnt it?
This is just one more happy moment to cherish!

5 comments:

  1. thanks vidya!!! i can c how happy u were 2 explain d process n it turns out 2 b so delicious. do u bake often?

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent Vidhya..
    I definitely will try this recipe to impress my hubby..;)
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just began Baking. And yes, now I bake at least once a week, if not cakes I try to bake some cookies for Hasini

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I tried out this cake today.. but with my own variations though! Our oven does not have "convection mode" so I couldnt "pre-heat" it as u mentioned..I just whisked the eggs together with the cake ingredients and microwaved it..I couldnt follow the folds which u mentioned.. I did some calculations and actually kept the power at MEDIUM-HIGH(640W) for 5mins and MEDIUM(480W) for 5mins, and my cake was ready :) I made frosting wid the remaining cocoa powder only.. that also came out well..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cake looks delicious!! & good to make own birthday cake,even I tried this year...
    Join with the event Decorating Challenge-Buttercream Icing

    @my space....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...